- Smoking is not permitted in the Library.
- Consumption of food and drinks is not permitted in the Library.
- No bags, umbrellas, overcoats, etc except files and books may be brought into the Library. Adequate storage facilities have been provided at the entrance to the Library.
- On leaving the Library, all users are required to produce for inspection all books and items taken out of the Library.
- Silence must be observed strictly in the Library.
- Mobile phones should be on SILENT MODE when in the library.
- Reservation of seats is not permitted. Books and other articles left for any length of time on chairs and tables may be removed by the library staff.
- The Library staff on duty has the right to request a user to leave the premises if he is found to be violating any of the Library rules.
- The Library will not accept responsibility for the loss or misplacement of personal belongings.
- The Librarian may amend the Library Rules and Regulations as and when necessary.
General Loan Rules
- Only KarU students and Staff members can borrow Library materials.
- No books or library materials may be brought out of the Library until the loan has been recorded. Unauthorized removal of library materials is regarded as a very serious offense.
- Library materials borrowed must be returned on or before the due date.
- The normal loan period for books is two days. The Library, however, may fix varying loan periods for different types of materials or users as it deems fit.
- All borrowers must settle any overdue loans before they are permitted to borrow again.
- Do not use the computers to do the following:
• Playing Games
• Playing music
- Do not install or uninstall any program or service in any computer.
- If any device of the computer is not working, do not fix it kindly report at the Help desk or staff in charge.
- You are allowed to use the computer for a time allocated by the librarian. If need be you can be asked to give others opportunity to use the computers.
Books must be returned by the due date or earlier if recalled by the Librarian. Failure to return a book by the date specified will be fined.
A fine can be imposed on anyone returning an overdue book. The rate will be Kshs. 5.00 per Hour for Normal Loan items and Kshs. 5.00 per hour for Short loan items.
Loss and Damage
Borrowers will be held responsible for materials out on loan. If the material is lost, an immediate report should be made to the Librarian to enable appropriate action to be taken. A borrower is allowed to either replace the book lost or damaged by purchasing it himself or paying the price of the book in addition to Kshs. 500 – administrative fee. All books replaced must be of the latest edition. If the book is one of a set or series they may be called upon to replace the whole set or series.
The main purpose of these rules is to safeguard the common interest of all users and to enable the Library to carry out its functions as efficiently as possible. Failure to observe the rules can lead to suspension from using the library.